MANISTEE, Mich. (WZZM) - A 14-year-old babysitter is being credited with saving three children in a house fire in Manistee.
The fire broke out in the 300 block of 5th Street Sunday afternoon.
The Manistee Fire Department and the Filer Fire Department responded and found smoke on the second floor of the home and flames in the attic. Everyone had been evacuated from the home. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and vent the home. The cause of the fire was an electrical short in the attic floor.
Fire investigators say that smoke detectors were in the home and alerted the babysitter and three young children of the fire. She was able to get all the kids outside. Early response by firefighters saved the home from further damage.