4 kinds of apples recalled for Listeria contamination
Jack Brown Produce, Inc., of Sparta, is recalled four different kinds of apples processed and shipped by one of its suppliers due to a possible health risk.
The Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious apples under the brand name "Apple Ridge" are being recalled for a potential Listeria contamination.
The recalled apples were shipped between December 11 and December 16 and distributed through retail stores in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Georgia and Missouri.
The recall was the result of routine sampling. Jack Brown Produce, Inc. has stopped further distribution while the cause of the contamination is investigated.
Consumers who have purchased the following Apple Ridge products on or after Dec. 11, 2017 are urged to destroy the apples and contact Jack Brown Produce, Inc. for a full refund:
- Honeycrisp apples in two-pound clear plastic bags;
- Gala, Fuji, and Golden Delicious apples in 3-pound clear plastic bags;
- Fuji and Gala apples in 5-pound red-netted mesh bags; and
- Gala, Fuji and Honeycrisp apples that were tray-packed/individually sold.
The potentially-affected product can be identified by the following lot numbers printed on the bag label and/or bag-closure clip:
- Fuji: NOI 163, 165, 167, 169, 174
- Honeycrisp: NOI 159, 160, 173
- Golden Delicious: NOI 168
- Gala: NOI 164, 166 on either the product labels and/or bag-closure clip.
Listera monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious, sometimes fatal, infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy individual may suffer from short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea,abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listera infections can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
No illness have been reported to date.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at 616-887-9568 or toll-free at 1-800-348-0834 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET) and ask for Lisa Ingalls.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.