This is a great dish to make during the week when you are short on time but you still want a great tasting, healthful meal.
Not to mention you can have leftovers the next day for lunch!
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 15.5 ounces chickpeas cooked and drained
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes – quartered, lengthwise
- 2 cups diced bell pepper (about 1 ½ bell pepper)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt – to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Slices of avocado
- Place quinoa in a large stock pot with 4 cups of water and garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover. Cook until quinoa is cooked until it is firm to the bite and then turn off heat. About 15 – 20 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl and stir in the chickpeas. Allow it to cool slightly until it is no longer steaming hot. Stir periodically.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and add additional salt, pepper and/or balsamic vinegar to taste.
- To serve you can either serve it as it is or once you put the individual servings on plates, you can garnish it with feta cheese and/or avocado.
This is a perfect summer salad and healthful lunch.
If you wanted some heat you could add a little cayenne or jalapeno to the dish.
You could also change the flavor profile by adding freshly chopped basil, parsley or cilantro.
Yields/servings: Makes 14 cups.
How to store leftovers: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator at 41° F or colder for up to 1 week.
- Measuring cups: ½, 2 and 4
- Tablespoon measurements: 1
- Teaspoon measurements: 1
- Large mixing spoon
- Large chef’s knife
- Paring knife
- Serrated knife (for tomatoes)
- Large cutting board
- Colander to rinse vegetables
- Large sized mixing bowl
- Peppermill or coffee grinder- for freshly ground black pepper
- Large stovetop burner
- Large saucepan with lid
Estimated total time from start to finish: 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Food categories: Vegan / Gluten free / Sugar free / Nut Free