For this Better Bites segment, we have a quick weeknight meal, that's vegetarian and very healthy.
Chef Jen, "The Ginger Chef," came to the WZZM 13 Studio to share a quesadilla recipe.
Watch the full demonstration in the video above.
Sweet potato, kale and black bean quesadilla (serves four)
- 4 Burrito size tortilla shells
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2 chipotle peppers or 2 TBSP chipotle pepper sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes to ¾ in thickness.
- Place in medium saucepan and cover sweet potatoes with enough water to cover.
- Boil sweet potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes and add kale, black beans, seasoning, chipotle peppers and green onion. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Place one burrito shell down and add ½ cup cheese over entire burrito shell.
- Top with ¼ of sweet potato, kale, black bean mixture over half the shell.
- When cheese has melted, fold burrito shell over onto itself and continue to cook until underside is slightly golden.
- Flip shell over and cook for 1 minute until remaining side is golden.
- Take off heat and cut into 3-4 pieces.
- Repeat with remaining burrito shells
Jen The Ginger Chef is a Personal Chef Service, providing palate and sourcing specific, delicious food that are prepared in the comfort and safety of your own kitchen. For more information, visit jenthegingerchef.com.