Police have arrested a man who is suspected of kidnapping a 3-year-old boy who was found unharmed earlier this afternoon in an abandoned house.

Michael Lee Grayson, 19, was taken into custody at about 2:35 p.m. in the area of 7 Mile Road and Ryan, said Detroit Police public information officer Jennifer Moreno.

His arrest came after officers located Marvie Gardner at about 1:45 p.m. in a house on the 19000 block of Biltmore, said Detroit Police public information officer Jennifer Moreno. He was unharmed and has been taken to a hospital.

"This started out to be a rough day, and it ended very well," Moreno said.

Grayson, 19, a family friend who is believed to have taken Marvie early this morning from the boy's home in the 19300 block of Winston, near the Plymouth Road/Telegraph area, in a stolen purple Plymouth Voyager van.

The van was recovered at about 12:30 p.m. today in the 19000 block of Riverview, police said. But at that time, both Marvie and Grayson were still missing.

The Amber Alert issued after Marvie went missing has been cancelled.

It's unclear what led police to the abandoned home or to the suspect. The Detroit Scanner Twitter account tweeted earlier this afternoon that police were investigating tips that Grayson had possibly boarded a bus going east on 7 Mile Road. No additional information was available about the arrest.

"This is all very fresh, and we're still investigating," Moreno said.

According to Deputy Police Chief Charles Fitzgerald, Grayson and his girlfriend were visiting the home with their child, but got into an argument. The girlfriend took their child and left, he said.

Grayson stayed and spent the night but, at some point, he took the 3-year-old child of the mom who lived there, leaving a note that said: "Get my baby!! Will contact. Done play'n' Let's play."

"When the child's mother woke up at 5:30 this morning, she noticed the child was missing," Fitzgerald said.

He said police don't believe the boy is in any harm, but "we want to get the child back safely."

Latoya Spears, Marvie's mother, told the Free Press she awoke to find her son wasn't lying next to her. She searched the house, noticed a side door was open and found the note.

Before Marvie was found, she said she had a message for Grayson:

"Michael, I promise you, do not hurt my baby, You need to return him now. ... You holding my baby hostage until yours come up. I don't have no part of that."

Anyone with information about the case on Grayson's and the boy's whereabouts is asked to call 911 or Detroit Police at 313-596-5640.

Contact Katrease Stafford: kstafford@freepress.com.