A Newaygo County judge has found Glenna Duram competent to stand trial for the May, 2015 shooting death of her husband in what investigators say was a murder-attempted suicide.

Glenna Duram suffered a gunshot to the head and spent months recovering before murder charges were filed earlier this year.

Investigators say she shot 46-year-old Martin Duram in a home they shared in Newaygo County's Ensley Township. The case has gotten national attention because the only witness to what happened was the couple's pet parrot, "Bud."

Earlier: Wife charged with May 2015 murder of her husband at Sand Lake home

Duram’s legal team in July asked that she undergo a mental competency exam.

Results of that exam indicate Duram understands the charges against her and can assist in her own defense, Newaygo County District Court Judge H. Kevin Drake determined on Wednesday, Nov. 9.

Duram, 48, will be back in court Dec. 2 for a preliminary examination to hear evidence against her.

It wasn’t until months after the slaying that Michigan State Police detectives were able to interview Glenna Duram, who suffered a life-threatening gunshot wound at the house on East 128 Street north of the Kent County line.

Evidence collected during the 13-month investigation included letters Glenna Duram wrote to family members expressing remorse, court records show.

During an October, 2015 interview at the Newaygo County Sheriff’s Department, Duram “stated that she was Bi-Polar and she was depressed,’’ Michigan State Police Detective Sgt. Scott Rios wrote in a search warrant affidavit.

“Glenna Duram said she was told that she was depressed and that she should leave him (Martin Duram),’’ the detective wrote.

Duram family members contacted investigators a day after his body was found to report they found three letters believed to have been written by Glenna Duram, court records show.

A letter addressed to her ex-husband said: “I’m so sorry I messed up. Please be there for our two beautiful children and grandkids as you have been – love Glenna.’’

“I believe the letters are an admission of guilt in this incident and show remorse on the part of Glenna Duram,’’ Rios wrote in the October, 2015 search warrant affidavit.

Glenna Duram moved to Allendale after she was released from the hospital. Police initially investigated the case as a suspected suicide. Bullet casing were found on the bed and both had blood on their clothing, court records show. Martin Duram was shot five times.

Investigators were on the scene for more than an hour May 13, 2015 before they realized that Glenna Davis was still alive.

Blood and a spent round were also found on a living room couch separate from the bedroom, according to court records. Police found a Ruger pistol beneath a living room chair and a hole in the arm rest.

The couple were last seen alive by a neighbor two days earlier. The neighbor said she knocked on their door for two days. She entered the home out of concern and found the couple in the bedroom.