A Fremont man is in stable condition at a local hospital after an explosion at home in Newaygo County.
Deputies arrived on the scene just before 3 p.m. Tuesday, July 4. The man involved was airlifted from the area to Spectrum Health's Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids.
Our partners at the Grand Haven Tribune have identified the victim as 57-year-old Dave Rickert, a former longtime resident of Spring Lake.
According to the Tribune, Rickert was making a balloon firework with acetylene gas and was putting a lid over it when it exploded.
Rickert suffered burns and cuts all over his body.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.