The YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids has announced the start of Kids Day Out, an initiative to host child care services on Election Day so that parents can get to the polls to cast their votes on Nov. 8.
According the news release, the YMCA acknowledges the challenges of balancing personal life and civic duty. To spearhead that, the Y wants to make sure all Americans are exercising their right to vote.
The child care services will be free for YMCA members and $6 per child for non-members.
It is required that parents pre-register 24 hours in advance because space is limited, the release says. Child care must also be scheduled in two hours time blocks, and will only be offered at:
- David D. Hunting YMCA – 475 Lake Michigan Dr. NW in Grand Rapids
- Mary Free Bed YMCA – 5500 Burton St. in Grand Rapids
- Spartan Stores YMCA – 5722 Metro Way in Wyoming
- Wolverine Worldwide Family YMCA – 6555 Jupiter Ave. in Belmont
- Visser Family YMCA – 3540 Fairlanes, SW in Grandville
- Lowell YMCA – 1335 West Main St. in Lowell
“Our hope is that Kids Day Out helps parents and care givers make sure their voices are heard, and the very children we care for are given every opportunity to reach their future potential," said Nicole Pratt, Association Child Care Director.
“As the largest provider of child care in Kent County, we see the potential in all kids and understand if given the opportunity to succeed, children can grow up to be anything they want—including president.”