Authorities say a 46-year-old man accidentally set himself on fire while trying to exterminate bees in an underground hive in southwestern Michigan.

The Cass County sheriff's department says a neighbor was able to put out the fire by the time authorities arrived Wednesday at the injured man's home in the Dowagiac area.

The man was airlifted to a hospital in Kalamazoo for treatment. Details about his condition weren't immediately released.

The accident is under investigation.

â–ºMake it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

Have a news tip? Email, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.