A road in disrepair has a few Muskegon County residents fed up with local officials.

Those living on North Weber Road in Laketon Township say the road is in such bad shape, they're concerned for their safety. The street is riddled with potholes, making for a bumpy ride.

"You almost look like a drunken sailor when you're driving down the road because you're swerving all over the place," said Kevin Eden, a resident who lives adjacent to the road. "You're trying to dodge all these holes and hope you don't hit them and destroy your car at the same time.

"I want to make sure that this is taken care of, the way it's supposed to. Not just patching the holes like they've done numerous times where a month later, its all back to where it was -- if not worse."

Kenneth Hulka, the manager of the Muskegon County Road Commission, told WZZM 13 off camera the commission would pay 25 percent of an improvement on the dead-end road, but the township would have to pay the other 75 percent.

Per state Act 51, 50 percent of a local road's funding needs to come from some other source besides the road commission.

Laketon Township Supervisor Kim Arter told WZZM 13 off camera the township has other dead-end roads where people are paying a special assessment and they eventually got the road fixed. Those on North Weber Road attempted to petition for that a few years back, but withdrew it after hearing the range in costs some residents would have to pay.

Now the petition is back on the table, but it's an option some residents do not feel they should have to do.

"It's a county road, it's a township road -- we pay enough in taxes we really don't feel we should have to buy a road ourselves," said Gary Charles, a resident adjacent to the road.

Another resident said township officials did talk about splitting the cost for the assessment equally for residents if everyone on the street was on board.

Recently, loose gravel was put down to fill some of the holes, but Charles and Eden say that's just a temporary fix.

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

Have a news tip? Email news@wzzm13.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.