Over two years ago, the City of Walker kicked off a campaign to raise funds and awareness for the need of a pedestrian tunnel under Lake Michigan Drive that would safely connect the Fred Meijer Standale Trail.
On Friday, Oct. 14, the Fred Meijer Standale Trail's pedestrian tunnel opened to the public. Community supporters, donors and residents attending a grand opening event.
Community partners and donors include:
- Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT)
- The Meijer Foundation
- Standale Walker Downtown Development Authority
- West Michigan Trails & Greenways Coalition
- Bea Aldrink Idema Foundation
- Dick Allen Lansing to Mackinaw Bike Ride
- DTE Energy Foundation
- Mark Huizenga Systems Consulting
- Chemical Bank
- Betz Industries
According to a press release, the Fred Meijer Standale Trail previously had a missing link at Lake Michigan Drive that directed trail users, via sidewalk, a half mile out of their way to cross at a signalized intersection. Instead, many trail users crossed the five-lane road to continue along the alignment of the trail -- now, they have a safe alternative.