Major changes are coming to the I-196 off-ramps at Ottawa Avenue in downtown Grand Rapids.
The project is slated to go through the beginning of September.
For the next two to three weeks, the eastbound and westbound I-196 off ramps will be closed. Traffic will be redirected to College Avenue for the time being.
The closure is coordinated with the ongoing Michigan Street resurfacing project.
Once the project is complete you can expect:
- Reconstructed Ottawa Avenue between Michigan and Hastings Streets;
- reconstructed figure and widened eastbound I-196 off-ramp to allow traffic to turn left and two lanes to turn right onto Ottawa Avenue;
- make Ottawa Avenue north of the off-ramp one-way northbound. Traffic will no longer be able to travel southbound between Hastings Street and the off-ramp;
- a new traffic signal at the I-196 off-ramps and Ottawa Avenue will be installed;
- the median barrier on Ottawa Avenue south of the eastbound I-196 off-ramp will be removed to allow traffic from both the eastbound and westbound off-ramps to turn left or right or travel straight at the Ottawa Avenue and Michigan Street intersection;
- a through-only lane will be changed at the Ottawa Avenue and Michigan Street intersection to be a through and left turn lane, creating two left turn lane options for drivers;
- upgraded sidewalks and ramps will be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- a new water main in Ottawa Avenue will be installed.
For a map of this construction project and others, click here.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.