Back to school, back to work, back to reality. With school, work and life getting into full swing it can be hard to find time to make a healthy dinner for your family. Slow cookers can help you to create those healthy family weeknight dinners. Sous Chef Bryan Nader from Mercy Health Saint Mary’s will show you some great and easy recipes to keep your family around the dinner table.
Deep Dish Pizza
Yield 8 servings
8oz. prepared pizza dough (let rise in an oiled bowl for at least 2 hours covered)
8oz. sliced Mozzarella or provolone cheese
4oz. thinly sliced pepperoni
4oz. thinly sliced mushrooms
2oz. thinly sliced green peppers
½ cup pizza sauce
1. Preheat the slow cooker on high for 20 minutes. Spray liner with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Stretch and roll pizza dough out into the same shape at the slow cooker liner. Place dough in the slow cook, stretch out if necessary to cover the bottom. Cook on high for 1 hour uncovered.
3. Shingle the mozzarella over the pizza crust, overlap each slice, until the perimeter is covered, saving one slice for the center.
4. Next shingle the pepperoni around the pizza, top with mushrooms, peppers and spread sauce on top.
5. Cook uncovered for another 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until pizza is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
6. Remove from the slow cooker, allow to stand for 3 minutes before cutting and serving.
Slow Cooker Burrito Bowls
Yield 8 servings
2 medium yellow onions, diced
2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 cups, canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
2 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
Ground black pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese
Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1. Add all ingredients, aside from the toppings to the slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low for 3 – 3 ½ hours or until rice is cooked
3. Serve hot with your choice of toppings.
Yield 4 servings
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup raisins
4 cups water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup evaporated milk
1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Set on low heat and allow to cook for 8-9 hours. (this recipe works best if you start this right before you go to bed)
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Yield 10 servings
4lb. beef round or chuck roast, trimmed and fat removed
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
½ cup dry red wine (optional)
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
½ tsp. kosher salt
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. crushed rosemary
¼ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried parsley
For the Gravy:
5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour mixed with ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
1. Combine paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, and parsley. Rub mixture over beef.
2. Heat a large skillet with olive oil and sear beef all over, remove beef to slow cooker. Pour beef broth, red wine and tomato paste into skillet, and stir to remove any of the brown bits. Pour wine mixture over beef in the slow cooker. Add in the vegetables and cover slow cooker.
3. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
4. Remove liquid from the slow cooker and put into a stock pot, bring to a boil and add flour slurry, stirring constantly, until thickened.
5. Top beef with gravy mixture and serve.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Yield 12 servings
12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups sliced carrots
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 whole yellow onion, diced
½ tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
½ Tbsp. salt
½ Tbsp. ground black pepper
16 ounces, egg noodles
1. Combine chicken, broth, carrots, celery, onion, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, salt and black pepper into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
2. Remove bay leaf and discard. Add noodles and continue to cook on high for 30 minutes or low for 45mins-1 hour.
(© 2016 WZZM)