GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Strawberry season has arrived in Michigan! Sous Chef Bryan Nader from Mercy Health is sharing some of his favorite strawberry recipes.
Strawberry Bourbon Jam
- 6 cups hulled strawberries
- 3 Tbsp. pectin
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- In a medium stock pot, combine the strawberries and pectin. Bring mixture to a full boiling, stirring constantly.
- Add the brown sugar and bourbon. Return to a full boil and boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into clean mason jars, allow to cool to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Strawberry Cheesecake Salad
- 16oz. fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 16oz. low fat whipped topping
- 16oz. sliced strawberries
- 12oz. raspberries
- 3 Tbsp. crushed graham crackers
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla, until light and fluffy. Beat in whipped topping until combined.
- Fold in strawberries and raspberries. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with graham crackers.
- 24 strawberries
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Pierce strawberries with a skewer. Place marshmallow fluff into a small microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 5 seconds, until melted.
- Dip strawberries into the fluff.
- Roast over a flame until toasted and serve.
Ingredients for the crust
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold, cubed unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cold, cubed cream cheese
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp. ice water
For the Strawberry Compote and Frangipane
- 1lb. strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. shelled raw pistachios
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. brandy (optional)
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
Instructions for the crust
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter and cream cheese and pulse until pea sized pieces form. Add in the lemon juice and 3 Tbsp. of the ice water, pulse dough until it comes together, adding an additional tablespoon of ice water if the dough looks dry. Pat dough into a disc, and wrap in plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to 2 days.
For the Strawberry Compote
Combine 2/3 of the hulled strawberries in a small pot with lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat until strawberries begin to break down, about 12 minutes. Let cool, and set aside
For the Frangipane
In a food processor, combine ¾ cup shelled pistachio and remaining ½ cup sugar until finely ground. Add butter; pulse until combined, then add 2 eggs, brandy, lemon zest and the almond extract and pulse until smooth.
For the Galette
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dust work surface with flour, and roll pastry to a 16 inch circle. Transfer pastry to parchment lined baking tray. Leaving a 3 inch border around the edges, spread the frangipane over the pastry. Using a slotted spoon add strawberries from the compote on top of the frangipane. Fold edges of the dough around the filling, leaving about 8 inches of the filling exposed.
In a small bowl whisk remaining egg with 1 Tbsp. cold water, then brush over the dough. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and chopped pistachios. Bake until edges are deeply golden, 40-50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. To serve, top with remaining halved strawberries and dust with powdered sugar.
- 4 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ boxes Nilla Wafers
- 1lb. Strawberries, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream using a hand mixer on high until medium peaks form.
- Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and continue to beat on high until stiff.
- Assemble lasagna in a 9”x13” pan. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream on the bottom of the pan, top with a layer of Nilla wafers. Top with a layer of whipped cream followed by a layer of strawberries. Repeat 2 more times.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, up to overnight. Cut and serve.
Strawberry-Sour Cream Scones with Brown Sugar Crumble
Ingredients for the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped strawberries
For the topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Dice the butter into small cubes and toss with the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter until it looks like coarse bread crumbs.
Whisk together the yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the yogurt mixture. Using a wooden spoon or stiff spatula, mix and fold the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture. Be gentle.
When almost all the flour has been incorporated, turn the dough out onto the counter and shape it into a wide rectangle and sprinkle half of the strawberries over half the dough. Fold the dough over onto itself and shape again into a wide rectangle. Sprinkle the remaining strawberries over half the dough and fold it over itself again. Fold it once or twice more to work in the strawberries, being as gentle as possible so as not to smoosh the strawberries. If any strawberries fall out, press them into the top.
Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Shape it into a disk roughly 1-inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
A half hour before baking, heat the oven to 400°F. Combine the flour and brown sugar for the topping, and then work in the butter using a fork until it becomes a smooth paste.
Remove the scones from the refrigerator. Crumble the topping evenly over the surface of the scones. Use a bench scraper or pizza wheel to slice the disk into 8 equal-sized wedges. Reposition the wedges on the baking sheet to put a few inches of space between each scone.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the scones are firm on the sides and golden-brown on the top. Let the scones cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV