On todays “On The Menu” segment, Jennifer Fillenworth, Registered Dietitian from Mercy Health Saint Mary’s shows how to make easy and healthy dinners on the grill this summer season. Each recipe cooks inside a foil packet and features lots of fresh vegetables. Foil packet dinners can be made on the grill or in the oven. These packets also make for easy clean-up, which are perfect for taking camping!
Cajun Boil Packets
Makes 4 Packets
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 package smoked chicken or turkey sausage, thinly sliced
2 ears corn, each cut crosswise into 4 pieces
1-pound baby red potatoes, sliced in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat
2. Cut 4 sheets of aluminum foil into 12-14 inch sections
3. Pre-cook halved potatoes in the microwave for 3-4 minutes
4. Add shrimp, sausage, potatoes, corn to the center of each foil packet
5. Drizzle with ½ tablespoon olive oil in each packet then toss with Cajun seasoning
6. Fold up packet so that all sides are closed
7. Grill for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through
8. Carefully open packet, garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired
Loaded Nachos on the Grill (Vegetarian)
Serves 4 as an appetizer
1⁄2 bag of tortilla chips
15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
3 green onions, chopped
1 sliced avocado
1⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt
hot sauce, optional
1. Preheat grill over low heat
2. Use large piece of foil (at least 20 inches long)
3. Spray inside of foil with non-stick spray
4. Begin to fold up the sides of the foil, creating a bowl shape
5. In the middle of the foil, place tortilla chips
6. Top with beans, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese
7. Top with another piece of foil and seal up the sides
8. Place on grill and close the lid, cook for 5-8 minutes
9. Carefully open the packet and top nachos with green onions, Greek yogurt, and hot sauce
BBQ Chicken Packets
Makes 4 packets
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 medium zucchini, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus
Green onions, chopped for garnish
1. Heat grill to medium heat.
2. Cut 4 sheets of aluminum foil, enough to wrap the chicken and vegetables.
3. Place chicken on center of aluminum foil and divide the vegetables into each packet.
4. Spread 2 tablespoons of the BBQ sauce on each chicken breast.
5. Place chicken packets onto grill and close the lid, cook for 13-15 minutes flipping once halfway through cook time.
6. Carefully open packets, spread with remaining BBQ sauce and garnish with green onions.
Cinnamon Apple Foil Packets
Makes 4 packets
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1. Preheat grill over medium heat
2. Prepare 4 pieces of approximately 12-inch long aluminum foil
3. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl
4. Place apples on center of foil and sprinkle on spice mixture using only enough to lightly coat apples.
5. Break up butter over apples. Fold each packet to seal up tightly.
6. Grill with lid closed for 25-30 minutes, flip 2-3 times throughout cook.
7. Carefully open packet, will be a lot of steam escaping.
***Optional Tip, serve with frozen vanilla yogurt on top
© 2018 WZZM-TV