Fall football season is in full swing right now and we got the scoop on some healthy alternatives to the traditional junk food fare. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Sheryl Lozicki shared some ideas, including a couple of her favorite products: Applegate Deli Meat and BodyArmor Sports Drink.
Here are the recipes Sheryl shared on My West Michigan:
Mini Sub Sandwiches
Ingredients: 8 servings
· 1 cup Greek yogurt
· ½ cup mild or hot peppedew peppers, finely chopped
· 1 small garlic clove, crushed
· ½ tsp. oregano
· 8 crusty, small rolls
· 8 slices Applegate Natural or Organic Black Forest Ham
· 16 slices Applegate Natural or Organic Genoa Salami
· 8 slices Applegate Natural or Organic Provolone Cheese
· 1 ripe tomato, thinly sliced
· 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
· 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1. Combine the Greek yogurt, peppers, garlic and oregano and spread 2 Tbsp. of the mixture on the inside of each roll.
2. Layer meats and cheese.
3. Top with lettuce, tomato and onion.
Again, these are perfectly portioned,
Ingredients: 1 dozen kabobs
· 12 Wooden skewers
· 6 slices Applegate Natural Extra Sharp Aged Cheddar Cheese
· 6 slices Applegate Natural or Organic Provolone Cheese
· 12 slices Applegate Natural or Organic Genoa Salami
· 24 Basil leaves
· 24 Kalamata and green olives
· 24 Tortellini, cooked and cooled
· 24 Cherry Tomatoes
1. Layer cheddar cheese atop salami and tightly roll. Repeat with remaining slices.
2. Layer provolone atop salami and tightly roll. Repeat with remaining slices.
3. Slices salami and cheese rollups into 4 sections each.
4. Skewer tomato, salami/cheddar cheese, basil, tortellini, salami/provolone cheese, olive and repeat.
5. Take a pastry brush and coat each completed skewer with pesto.
Turkey Sushi with Miso Dressing
Ingredients: Makes 16 sushi rolls
• 8 slices Applegate Natural Roasted Turkey Breast
• 1 small cucumber, shredded
• 1 carrot, shredded
• 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced into 16 pieces
For the dressing
• 2 tablespoons white miso
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Lay turkey on a flat surface. Layer from the middle to the bottom with 6-8 matchsticks each of cucumber, topped with carrots and then avocado leaving a 1 ½ inch gap of uncovered turkey on the base.
2. Starting from the bottom, tightly roll and enclose the veggies.
3. Slice into sushi rolls seam side down.
4. For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together and set aside for dipping.
© 2017 WZZM-TV