GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Time for a healthy twist on an Irish favorite -- Shepard’s Pie.
WZZM 13 Health Reporter Valerie Lego gets the recipe from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan dietician Grace Derocha, plus details on a Seriously Funny Family Adventure taking place on Sunday, March 19.
Watch the full interview in the video above.
Healthier Shepard’s Pie
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef and ground turkey combination
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, baby lima beans)
- 2 tbsp. flour (or use GF flour)
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- Make cauliflower white bean mashed potatoes. See recipe below
- In a large sauté pan brown meat over medium high heat, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic and celery and sauté on medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour, frozen vegetables, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about 8-10 minutes.
- Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool 5 minutes before serving.
Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and White Beans
· 1 head cauliflower, chopped
· 2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
· 12-ounce can of Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (you can use any white bean of choice, navy or cannellini
· 1/3 cup low-fat chicken stock or chicken broth
· 1/4 cup butter or butter substitute of choice
· 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute
· 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
· lots of pepper
· salt to taste
· 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or rosemary)
· 1 head roasted garlic, squeezed out of skins (yes whole bulb, not just a clove), you can also use pre-minced garlic to save time
1. Boil potatoes thru in a large pot with chicken stock for about 30 minutes or until tender
2. Add cauliflower and beans to potatoes. Place lid and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and use hand emersion or a traditional blender to get to your favorite mashed potato consistency.
4. Use with Shepard’s Pie recipe.
· The Seriously Funny Family Adventure Challenge will involve teams* (of two to four) racing across the downtown areas of Grand Rapids to engage in fun and exciting timed challenges.
Anyone interested can register at www.laughfestgr.org/event/adventurechallenge/
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV