EAT PIE, BE HAPPY WITH YOUR THOUGHTFUL DECISIONS.
In my childhood, my family would occasionally stop for lunch after church at a neighborhood Big Boy diner. When my daddy pulled into their parking lot, all of us kids went crazy with excitement, because eating out was a rare and special treat. Of course, there were rules about what we were allowed to order from the menu, ensuring that costs were kept to a minimum for our big family. We all understood and were grateful to be there. The choice was usually between a cheeseburger and a dessert-only one. For my siblings, this was a difficult decision, but not for me. Desserts were then, and continue to be, a major love of my life. I always chose pie, chocolate cream pie precisely. I loved its flaky crust, chocolaty, creamy filling, and the homemade whipped cream topping. I never once regretted my sensible, delicious decision, and make similar decisions to this day!
Sweetie-licious Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust
1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers
3 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1. Combine the graham crackers, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl with a fork until mixed completely. Add the melted butter and continue to mix completely.
2. Pour into a lightly greased 9-inch pie dish and firmly press the mixture into the bottom and sides, using a 1/4-cup measuring cup or tablespoon to form the crust.
3. Whisk together egg yolk and water. Brush crust gently with eggyolk and water mixture until lightly covered.
3. Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes.
Linda's Cheery Chocolate Peppermint Cream Pie Filling
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
1/3 cup Hershey's cocoa, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Crushed candy canes or peppermint sticks
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Mix the milk, half-and-half, egg yolks, sugars, cornstarch, and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
3. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils for 1 minute.
4. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and peppermint extracts.
5. Pour the filling into a piecrust and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
6. Garnish with Whipped Cream and crushed candy canes, peppermint sticks, or chocolate shavings.
Sweetie-licious Bakery Cafe'