GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Chef Nick came to the WZZM 13 Noon News to share a recipe for porcini crusted scallops and butternut squash risotto with a cherry gastrique.
Watch the full demonstration in the video above.
(yield 1 pint)
- 1 cup cherry Juice
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups tart cherries (IQF)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TB salt
- Add all ingredients to small pot.
- Bring to a boil, simmer until nappe.
- Strain, puree.
- Cool, store, label, date.
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ yellow onion (fine dice)
- 1 TB garlic (minced)
- 2 TB oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 TB salt
- Toast rice in oil for 2 minutes, not browning.
- Add onion, garlic, bay leaf and saute for 1 minute.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add stock, bring to a boil then place on low heat covered.
- Stir every 3-4 minutes, allowing 15 minutes to cook fully.
- Season with salt.
- Set aside.
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, de seeded, cut in even chunks)
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 TB salt
- Add squash, cream, salt to a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until squash is soft.
- Take off heat and puree in a food processor.
- Add Rice with Butternut squash puree and mix evenly.
Chef Nick Aslanian joined us from Reds at Thousand Oaks, located at 4100 Thousand Oaks Dr NE, Grand Rapids.Visit their website by clicking here.
(© 2016 WZZM)