Pumpkin Marble Pie
Chef Char's Flaky, Buttery Pie Crust
Pie Crust Ingredients:
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
½ cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
Cut the butter into Tablespoon size pieces and place in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, add flour salt, sugar and cubed butter. Mix with a pastry blender or dough hook to break up the butter slightly. Next, add the buttermilk and vanilla. Knead the dough by hand or mix on medium until dough forms a ball and butter chunks are about the size of nickels and dimes. Place in refrigerator until ready to roll out dough. When ready to roll dough, split the ball in half. Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and roll dough into a circle to cover a 9 inch pie pan. Place bottom crust in pan. Fill with fruit or custard filling of choice. Recipe makes 2 bottom crusts or 1 top and one bottom pie crust.
Pumpkin Marble Pie
1 (9-inch) deep dish pie crust (recipe above)
Marbled Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie Ingredients:
11 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or ¼ each ginger, nutmeg, cloves)
3 large eggs
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1-2 Tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix together all crust ingredients and press firmly into bottom and sides of an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 12 minutes
3. Beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until smooth; Beat in the vanilla, then add flour and stir or beat on low speed until mixed. Set aside 1/3 cup of the cream cheese mixture. To the remaining cream cheese mixture, add the spices, eggs and pumpkin. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until smooth. Pour into crust.
4. Mix the reserved 1/3 cup cream cheese mixture and the milk. Whisk until smooth. Add additional milk, if needed to thin out the cream cheese mixture more. Spoon cream cheese and milk mixture over pumpkin mixture. Cut through cream cheese and pumpkin mixtures to make a marbled pattern
5. Cover edges of foil loosely with a strip of foil to prevent the crust from over-browning and bake on center rack for 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Cool to room temperature. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.
Join Chef Char in a cooking class at the Muskegon Farmers Market in Kitchen 242, located at 242 W. Western in downtown Muskegon. Tickets for Char's classes can be found and purchased at this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/d/mi--muskegon/chef-char/.
© 2017 WZZM-TV