GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - In this week's What's Cooking segment, Chef Anthony (Tony) Craig from Georgina's Fusion Cuisine is preparing vaca frita.
Vaca frida is a dish compiled of pulled flank steak and Spanish onions hard seared in infused garlic oil. It is finished with lemon juice, served with rice, beans and plantain.
Watch the video above for a full demonstration and follow the recipe below to make it at home!
- 2/3 cup garlic infused oil
- 5oz flank steak (slow cooked, similar to pulled pork)
- 3/4 large white onion
- 1/2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- Juice of a whole lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a hot pan add the garlic oil and sear the meat.
- As the beef begins to become crunchy add the onions to the pan.
- Once the onions have caramelized add the garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Toss all the ingredients together until all the flavors blend.
- Serve on top of steamed rice garnish with green onions and with a side of Cuban style beans.
The Georgina's location at 724 Wealthy St. in Grand Rapids is the second taqueria. The original location is in Traverse City.
For more information, click here.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV