GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - This weekend, Grand Rapids' Downtown Market is hosting Easter Brunch Bites to celebrate the holiday and to help get families out and about.
Chris McKellar from Love's Ice Cream and Rocket Pies joined the Noon News to give us a little taste of some of the activities that will be happening on Sunday.
Watch the full segment in the video above and use the recipe below at home!
Healthy oatmeal snack bars
Aside from the small amount of added sugar in the dark chocolate (the higher the percent cacao, the less sugar), this is a very healthy and satisfying snack. Keep them frozen for an indefinite shelf life.
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- mashed ¼ virgin coconut oil
- melted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsweetened, non-desiccated shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cherries
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Thoroughly combine bananas, coconut oil and vanilla extract, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, almond meal, salt, and baking powder well, then fold in coconut, walnuts, almonds, cherries and chocolate.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place onto parchment lined cookie sheet or sheet pan in roughly 1/4 – 1/3 cup sized portions.
- Use 3 fingers to press and flatten out into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until set and edges are turning the slightest bit golden brown.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV