Grand Rapids, Mich. -- Students in Grand Rapids who have vivid imaginations and great writing skills have the opportunity to attend a film premiere in star-studded fashion. The winner of the Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy essay contest will win a prize pack to attend and walk the red carpet at the film's upcoming Grand Rapids premiere at Celebration! Cinema North on Thursday, May 10th at 6:30 p.m.
Filmed primarily in Northern Michigan, Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy is a family-friendly adventure film that was written and directed by Michigan native Harold Cronk, co-founder of 10 West Studios in Manistee. When a mythical device from ancient times is rebuilt by a group of Confederates who feel the Civil War never ended, twelve-year old Mickey Matson and his newfound friend, Sully, must follow a series of clues left to him by his deceased grandfather to keep the evil men away from the three mystical objects that power the device. If he fails, it could mean not only the loss of his family's home, but maybe the demise of our country as we know it.
"Mickey and Sully need to make tough choices pitting good against evil throughout their adventure in this film for the entire family," said Cronk. "Our hope is to inspire kids to develop their own creative stories through this essay contest while giving them the opportunity to attend a film premiere which is not a common occurrence in West Michigan."
The contest details are as follows:
• Given that the Mickey Matson film is based in Michigan and releases in May, which is Michigan Month, essay contest contributors are tasked with writing their own "Michigan" adventure story.
• The contest is open to students in 4th - 7th grade.
• The essay must be set in a real city/town in Michigan and include at least two of the following from our state: historic place, state bird, state flower, state stone or state tree. Other than that, the sky's the limit!
• Essays must be no fewer than 500 words and no more than 1,000 words in length, and must be typewritten and double-spaced. Include name, school, age, grade, address and phone number on entry. Only one entry per student is allowed.
• Essays will be judged on both style and content. Judges will look for writing that is clear, articulate and logically organized.
• To enter, email entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Friday, April 27, 2012.
The winning essay will be treated like Hollywood royalty with the following VIP Grand Prize:
• Limo ride for winner and a friend with Mickey Matson stars Derek Brandon (Mickey) and Francesca DeRosa (Sully) to the Grand Rapids premiere of Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy
• Walk the Red Carpet with a friend and the stars before the premiere
• 10 complimentary tickets and VIP seating to the Grand Rapids premiere
• All-access pass for winner and your guests to meet the cast and crew after the premiere
• Private screening of Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy for winner's class with special guests, Derek Brandon (Mickey) and Harold Cronk (Writer/Director) and Maranda of Maranda TV
• Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy memorabilia prize pack
• Announcement in the local media
In addition, the Top 5 finalists will receive four complimentary tickets to the premiere as well as a film memorabilia prize pack.
Tickets for the Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy Grand Rapids Premiere and are on sale now for $25 each and include: pop, popcorn, and a meet and greet with cast and crew following the screening. Visit www.celebrationcinema.com to pre-order now.
Mickey Matson and the Copperhead Conspiracy has been approved by The Dove Foundation for family viewing and features a talented cast including: West Michigan-resident Derek Brandon (A Dog for Christmas), Francesca DeRosa (Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?), Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters), Lee Arenberg (Pirates of the Caribbean), Patrika Darbo (Days of Our Lives) and Christopher Lloyd (Back to the Future).