Five Things You Didn't Know Your Smartphone or Tablet Could do for You
1. CONTROL YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICES IN YOUR HOME WHILE YOU'RE AWAY
Product: WeMo Switch + Motion; for iOS only; $99.98
Traveling for vacation or business, but concerned about your home appearing vacant? Wouldn't it be nice to start that pot of coffee before you arrive home from work?
The Belkin WeMo Switch and WeMo Motion Kit gives you wireless control of your home appliances and electronics, turning devices of your choice on or off as soon as movement is detected. The sensor plugs into an outlet and detects motion up to 10 feet away. It then sends a wireless signal to the WeMo Switch to turn the connected device either on or off. Download the free WeMo app to any Apple device (iOS 5 or higher) to program a light to turn on when you walk into the house or a fan to turn off when you leave.
To get started, simply plug the sensor's A/C module into an outlet in your home and position the sensor. Next, plug the WeMo Switch into a separate outlet, and plug a device like a heater, fan, lamp, or stereo into the switch. Next, download the free WeMo app from the Apple app store to your iPhone or iPad. Connect the sensor and switch to your home Wi-Fi network and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
The Belkin WeMo Switch + Motion converts an iPhone® into a convenient remote for turning home/office electronic devices (lamps, fans, heaters, etc.) on or off from anywhere - instantly or on a customized schedule. Plus, with the motion sensor, users can activate or deactivate their device by when they enter or leave a room. The WeMo Switch plus Motion is easy to use and setup while operating over WiFi and mobile Internet. Additional switches and motion sensors can be easily added to additional devices so users can control as much or as little as they want.
- Remote control: Conveniently allows user to turn electronic devices (e.g. lamps, fans, heaters, televisions, stereos, etc.) on or off from anywhere.
- Motion sensor: Automatically turns electronic devices on or off by sensing motion inside a room.
- WiFi and mobile internet compatible: Works with WiFi router and any iOS device (v5.0) or higher) to control electronic devices.
- Customize schedule: Places electronic devices on a schedule so they can be turned on or off at a desired time.
- Easy setup: Simply connect the WeMo Switch to an outlet and connect electronic device to the WeMo Switch; additional switches can be easily added
2. FLY A PLANE
Product: Parrot AR.Drone 2.0, $149.99 (or other plane model available)
Works With: The Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 works on smartphones and tablets using Android™ 2.2 or later with multitouch.
You use your mobile device for many fantastic things, but have you ever flown an aircraft with it? Raise your tech adventures to new heights with the Parrot AR.Drone 2.0, a quad copter that you control remotely with your smartphone or tablet.
Soar this smart accessory high above your neighborhood or get a bird's-eye view of your child's first bike ride. While flying, capture HD video and images that you can later share with friends and family using YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and more. Or hone your piloting skills by performing acrobatic barrel rolls and competing in games through the AR.FreeFlight app.
The Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 is a great way to have fun while using your mobile device in new ways.
Enhance your flying experience
- Capture video (720p HD and 30 frames per second) and photos as you fly, streaming them to your device or saving them via USB 2.0.
- Piloting is easy with a new absolute flight mode. No matter which way the Parrot AR.Drone is facing, it will fly in the direction that you tilt your device. Or just hover in the air.
- Get great peripheral vision with the 92-degree wide-angle lens. You can see where the Drone is headed from its view.
- Set limits to better control the copter. Adjust maximum vertical speed, altitude and more from your device.
- Fly worry free knowing that the Drone is built to last, with carbon-fiber tubes and high-grade plastic parts.
- Use special targets on the ground to play an augmented-reality game using an app and the Parrot AR.Drone. Or race and play other free games.
- Manage your video and photos, and view media taken by other Drone owners, using the accessory's app.
3. WATCH TV WHEN YOU ARE ON THE GO
Product: XFINITY TV APP AND TV PLAYER APP;Free apps available for Android and iOS; requires Comcast service
With the XFINITY TV app, you can use your iPad and now your iPhone and iPod touch to watch On Demand movies and shows. Plus, use your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Android as your remote control to search On Demand and TV listings and to schedule your DVR when you're away from home.
The XFINITY TV Player App
Watch thousands of your favorite XFINITY On Demand™ TV shows and movies. Plus, now you can download shows & movies from Showtime, Starz, Encore and Movieplex to your Apple® or Android™ tablet or smartphone and watch them anytime, anywhere - even when you're offline
Sign in with your Comcast ID to unlock all of the On Demand choices available to you on the go.
Also of note: Xfinity TV Remote App (allows you to view listings, change channels from your iPad)
4. KEEP AN EYE ON WHAT'S GOING ON AT HOME FROM ANYWHERE
PRODUCT: NETCAM Wi-Fi® Camera with night vision; available for iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™; $99.99
Watch your kids or pets play, make sure children arrive home safely from school and start their homework all from your smartphone or tablet.
Now you can see everything that's going on at home, right on your smartphone or tablet from anywhere, day or night. Offering wide angle video, excellent image quality, night vision and digital sound, NetCam is the perfect way to see and hear what's going on at home when you're not there. Simply download the free NetCam app to your mobile device and watch over your 3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi connection.
- Wide view video: Shows you more of the room so you know what's really going on.
- Easy mobile device setup: Setup your camera from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™ device in minutes. No need for PC or laptop.
- Night vision: Infrared lets you see clearly when there's little to no light.
- Email alerts: Enjoy peace of mind with movement detection notices.
- Mobile device recording: Save live video to your smartphone or tablet memory.
- Digital audio: Listen to what's going on in the room.
- Free NetCam app: Connects NetCam to a smartphone or tablet for easy viewing - from anywhere
5. GIVE YOUR VEHICLE A VOICE
Product: Introducing Vehicle Diagnostics by Delphi, $249.99 (Limited Time Offer)
This easy-to-install Module lets you troubleshoot and monitor your vehicle from your smartphone or computer. From checking your vehicle's location on a map to deciphering engine codes from your couch, now you have the power to keep a close eye on your vehicle no matter where the road takes you.
This Vehicle Diagnostics Module is compatible with most vehicles (cars, light trucks, SUV's, and minivans) sold in the U.S. beginning with the 1996 model year.
Unchain Your Keys
Take command of your door locks, trunk, horn and remote car starter directly from your smartphone or computer.
Key fob and Bluetooth compatibility varies by vehicle make and model.
Peace of Mind
Locked your keys in the car? Easily unlock your car from your smartphone or PC with a single tap or mouse click. It's like having a second set of keys with you at all times.
Use your smartphone instead of your key fob within 30 feet of your vehicle and Bluetooth® will automatically engage for a faster response time.
Check That Engine Light
Keep your hands grease-free and troubleshoot that check engine light with this powerful vehicle diagnostic tool. Securely access your vehicle's driving data and mechanical condition from your smartphone or PC.
Know Before You Go
Diagnose your vehicle's condition before you visit the mechanic.
Stay in Tune With Your Vehicle
Check on your vehicle's health from your smartphone or PC.
This easy-to-install and incredibly-advanced Module puts you in control of your vehicle. Get all the specs, hear what others are saying or simply start shopping.
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest 4G LTE network and largest, most reliable 3G network.
- The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network reaches 273.5 million people across the country - close to 89 percent of the U.S. population - and is now available in 480 markets.
- Verizon Wireless is continuing to expand its 4G LTE network, introducing coverage in four new markets across the country
- The company serves 98.2 million retail customers, including 92.5 million retail postpaid customers.
- The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network is changing the way people and businesses communicate, enabling them to wirelessly connect more and more, with innovative new solutions in healthcare, entertainment, education and more.
- More information, visit VerizonWireless.com