WZZM 13 Health Reporter Valerie Lego talks with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan’s registered dietician Grace DeRoucha about how to keep your food cold on hot summer days in the video above.
Easy summer bean and corn salad
- 1 can (15 oz) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) of corn, drained
- ½ an English cucumber, chopped
- ½ container of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color, de-seeded and chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ lemon, juice
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 tsp. cumin or to taste
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- ½ tsp. garlic powder or to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper or to taste
- Mix all salad and dressing ingredients in one bowl.
- Place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes, then serve. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2017 WZZM-TV