GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - You can't really celebrate the Fourth of July without food.
WZZM 13 Health Reporter Valerie Lego catches up with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan nutritionist Grace DeRocha for a healthy twist on buffalo chicken wraps and a and fruit and yogurt bar that will cool off your taste buds!
Red, White and Blueberry Yogurt Bark
Inspired by A Healthier Michigan
- 32 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- about 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Parchment paper
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt and honey.
- Pour and spread the yogurt mixture into the base of the lined baking dish.
- Sprinkle the different berries and gently press into the yogurt.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours or until completely frozen.
- Use a knife to make the first “break” and then you can break with your hands. Break into serving size pieces and serve cold. Enjoy!
Independence Day Buffalo Chicken Tortilla Pinwheels
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup hot wing sauce or cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup blue cheese
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 2-3 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 lb. chicken breast cooked and shredded or 1 lb. rotisserie chicken shredded or chopped
- 6 Blue corn flour tortilla
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese on low and add in sauce, blue cheese, Colby jack cheese, and green onions. Beat until blended.
- Stir shredded chicken and red pepper into mixture by hand.
- Spread approximately 3/4 cup of mixture on top of one of the tortillas.
- Roll up tortilla tightly, but without shifting the mixture too much. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Place rolled tortillas on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Ideally, refrigerate for 24 hours, if unable to do so for this song, some time is better than no time.
- Remove from refrigerator and unwrap. Slice each rolled tortillas in half and then each half into 3 slices, discarding ends. Place pinwheel slices on serving plate or tray. Enjoy!
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2017 WZZM-TV