GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - We're just days away from Thanksgiving and many of us are headed out to shop for everything we need -- including side dishes!
Did you know side dishes can often have a lot of fat and calories (which, of course, is what makes them so good!)?
I got a few ideas from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Registered Dietician Grace DeRocha that are both healthy and tasty!
Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and White Beans
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 12-ounce can of Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (you can use any white bean of choice, navy or cannellini
- 1/3 cup low-fat chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter or butter substitute of choice
- 1/4 cup milk or milk substitute
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- lots of pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or rosemary)
- 1 head roasted garlic, squeezed out of skins (yes whole bulb, not just a clove), you can also use pre-minced garlic to save time
- Boil potatoes thru in a large pot with chicken stock for about 30 minutes or until tender
- Add cauliflower and beans to potatoes. Place lid and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender
- Add the rest of the ingredients and use hand emersion or a traditional blender to get to your favorite mashed potato consistency.
- Add favorite toppings from the mashed potato bar fixings.
For more recipes and health and wellness tips, visit AHealthierMichigan.org.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV