GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - Getting older can pose some challenges to those who don't want to change the way they live. It can also make things difficult for people wanting to live in their own homes.
That's where the concept of aging in place comes in.
Porter Hills offers help for seniors wanting to stay where they are most comfortable for as long as they can.
Here is some basic information about the concept of aging in place.
What is aging in place?
- Living in the residence of your choice, for as long as you are able, as you age.
- Live where you choose and get any help you need for as long as you can.
What is the goal of aging in place?
- Maintain and/or improve your quality of life.
- Creating a plan focusing on self, home, finances, and potential care needs is essential.
How does aging in place effect loved ones?
- Planning for the future is one of the best gifts you can give to your loved ones.
- With a plan caregivers are empowered to make informed decisions that honor your wishes.
Are there programs for aging in place?
- Yes. There are membership based continuing care at home programs throughout the country
- They offer life care at home with the security of knowing you will be taken care of if health needs change.
What are some of the challenges of aging in place?
- The cost of aging in place.
- Coordinating care.
What technology assists a person who chooses to age in place?
- Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS).
- Medication managers.
- Staying connected through technology.
You can find out more about aging in place by following these links:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.
© 2018 WZZM-TV