The menu at the new Grand Rapid's Brewing Company
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- The Grand Rapids Brewing Company reopened Wednesday, featuring up to ten organically brewed house beers.
Each beer is named after something Grand Rapids related:
- The Silver Foam is a lager style beer and historic Grand Rapids Brewing Co. label, and once among the most popular beers in the region -- until Prohibition ruined the beer industry.
- The Brewer's Heritage, a hefferveisen beer, is a nod to the Grand Rapids' German brewers who opened some of the first breweries in the area.
- The Campau's $90 Pale Ale is named after Louis Campau, who is considered "father of Grand Rapids." He paid the federal government $90 for what we consider downtown.
- The Fishladder IPA is named after a popular and functional downtown sculpture created to help salmon and steelhead swim upstream for spawning.
- The John Ball Brown Ale is named after a true Michigan pioneer, John Ball, who was instrumental in the development of downtown Grand Rapids. He donated the land that is John Ball Park.
- The Rosalynn Bliss Blonde, a mango blonde beer, is named in honor of Second Ward city commissioner (and beer lover) Rosalynn Bliss.
- Brandt's Union is named after Grand Rapid's Union Brewing (1862) and its founding brewer, George Brant, who started the Grand Rapids Brewing Company.
- The Senator Lyon's Stout is named after Lucius Lyon: senator, statesman & one of the framers of Michigan's constitution.
The Grand Rapids Brewing Company is at 1 Ionia Ave. SW in Grand Rapids.