5 more children released after carbon monoxide pool leak

The children sickened by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel pool were all middle schoolers -- and some were related.

NILES, MICH. (AP) - Five more children have been treated and released from the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in a southern Michigan hotel pool area that killed a 13-year-old boy.

South Bend memorial Hospital spokeswoman Heidi Prescott said Sunday that the five additional children had been released Sunday. A police officer and three other children were previously treated and released following the incident Saturday at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles.

WNDU-TV reports another patient is in good condition at Lakeland Hospital in Niles.

Related: Teenager dead, many more hospitalized due to carbon monoxide poisoning

Niles Police Chief Jim Millin said 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts, of Niles, was pronounced dead at Lakeland.

Millin says the children are ages 12 to 14.

Niles Fire Department Mechanical Inspector Capt. Don Wise says a pool heater had improper ventilation.

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

© 2017 Associated Press


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment