Duck Confit Hash w/ Summer Vegetables & Fried Farm Egg
3 legs duck confit
4 medium shallots, chopped
8 oz baby carrots
4 oz radish
1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, 1/3-inch dice
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoons black pepper
¾ cups heavy cream
¼ cup sherry wine
¼ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons, fresh thyme
6 farm fresh eggs
1. Cook duck legs skin sides down, in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over moderate heat, turning over once, until skin is golden and some of the fat is rendered.
2. Transfer duck to a cutting board, reserving fat in skillet. When duck is cool enough to handle, remove skin with any visible fat into 1/2 -inch pieces and return to skillet (reserve meat aside).
3. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and pressing down on larger pieces, until fat is rendered and skin is deep golden and crisp all over. Remove skin with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
4. Pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of fat from skillet, add shallots. Cook over moderate heat stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, radish, salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently until vegetables are browned.
5. Meanwhile shred duck meat, discarding bones and gristle.
6. Stir duck into vegetables alone with cream, sherry, parsley, thyme, fried duck skin, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
7. Reduce heat to moderately low, then smooth top of mixture and cook, undisturbed until bottom of hash is golden when lifted with spatula, 4-8 minutes.
From Mia & Grace Bakery & Bistro - Muskegon