Blair Moreau on the BOSU Ball
(WZZM) - The BOSU Ball is an awesome fitness-training tool that is use for balance training, athletic drills and aerobic activities. Everyone from the beginning exerciser to the elite athlete, and from the young to the elderly can benefit from this weird piece of exercise equipment.
BOSU, "Both Sides Utilized," consists of one side that is completely flat that can lie flat on the ground, with the opposite side being the ball or dome side and can be used for many challenging exercises. The BOSU Ball can improve core stability and posture, as well as strength training to all muscles in the body, upper and lower. If you are looking for a new piece of equipment that will give a boost to your workout program give the BOSU a try. Before we get to a couple of my favorite exercises, I encourage that if you try a BOSU Ball, just work on getting used to it before engaging in the exercises.
Here are some of my favorites BOSU Ball exercises:
• BOSU Push-Up: A challenging exercise performed with the dome side down. Place your hands on the outer edge of the platform side, pay close attention that they are directly under your shoulders. Now perform a standard push-up.
• BOSU Squat: Perform the squat by placing both feet on the dome side of the ball. Try to go as wide as you can with your foot placement. Once you are comfortable and set, slowly squat down until your thighs are parallel with the ground. Push your self back to a standing position in a controlled motion.
• BOSU Dumbbell Shoulder Press: Perform this exercise by placing both feet on the dome side of the ball. Once you are comfortable and steady, place your dumbbells at ear level, palms facing forward. Press them up over your head until your arms are straight (breathe out at this time). Slowly and in control, lower them back to ear level (breathe in at this time). Perform a desired number of repetitions or to failure.
• BOSU Dumbbell Curl: Perform this exercise by placing both feet on the dome side of the ball. Once you are comfortable, hold the dumbbells by your side. Face your palms forward and keep your elbows tucked into your side. Raise the weights at the elbow, keeping the upper arm still, until the elbows are fully bent. Slowly lower the dumbbells to the starting position. Perform a desired number of repetitions or to failure.
• BOSU Basic Crunch: This exercise is performed by lying with your back on the ball side and your feet flat on the ground. Proceed to complete the crunch motion, return to the starting position. The BOSU Ball will allow a greater range of motion and utilization of your abdominal muscles.
Give your workout program a boost and try the BOSU. There are literally hundreds of exercises that can be done on this one piece of equipment that will strengthen your entire body.
Blair Moreau - Mercy Health Partners