Firefighters wrap up after extinguishing a grass fire in Spencer Township that was caused by fireworks.
SPENCER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- Two men are facing misdemeanor charges for a grass fire started by fireworks.
Emergency crews were called to a fire in a Consumers Energy right-of-way near 16 Mile Rd. and Keller Ave. NE in Spencer Township around 3 p.m.
The fire burned seven acres of grass and brush in the right-of-way. It took crews from six area fire departments about 90 minutes to put out the fire. It came within 75 yards of homes.
Deputies say the suspects tried to leave the scene, but drove their vehicle into a ditch.
An 18-year-old man and a 20-year-old man are facing a misdemeanor charge of reckless use of fireworks. Deputies say they were lighting fireworks on a trail that follows Consumers Energy power lines.