MUSKEGON HEIGHTS, Mich. (WZZM) -- Operators of the company that will manage Muskegon Heights' new charter academy system have named the new "heads of school" (principals), athletic team coaches and band director.
- Muskegon Heights High School - The new "head of school" will be Dr. Donna Johnson, an experienced charter high school administrator who is moving to Muskegon Heights from New Jersey for the job.
- Muskegon Heights Middle School - The principal will be Andre Johnson, the former principal of Timberland Charter School in Muskegon. Johnson is also a Ferris State University graduate and past football coach at Ferris State and Muskegon Public Schools.
- Edgewood Elementary School - Sonya Hernandez is returning to Edgewood, where she served as principal last year. Hernandez also has charter school experience.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School - Glenda Robinson Scott is staying in the top spot at MLK Elementary, after becoming principal in January 2012. She had been a teacher or administrator in Muskegon Heights since 2003.
- Football head coach - Tony Blankenship coached in Muskegon Heights last year. He played for the University of Michigan before beginning his coaching career, which has spanned 19 years.
- Girls volleyball head coach - Kimberly Simmons coached girls volleyball and taught at Muskegon Heights School District last year.
- Band director - Robert Moore is returning to the Muskegon Heights school district after retiring in 2011.
Administrators with Mosaica, the company operating Muskegon Heights charter academy system, say they expect to meet their target enrollment of more than 1,200 students by the opening day of the school year, September 4. They say 336 students had been enrolled as of Wednesday.