NEWAYGO COUNTY (WZZM)- A Newaygo County family is staying with relatives today after a fire damaged their home early this morning.
The home was on West 28th Street.
Family members say one of the boys in an upstairs bedroom woke up to the smell of smoke. He then alerted his family, and they were able to get outside safely.
The boy's father tried to use a fire extinguisher on the flames before calling 9-1-1.
Once on scene, fire crews were able to contain the flames to the upstairs and attick areas.