• Women's Health Network - Federal and State dollars channeled through the local health department. Also called BCCCP program.
• Covers mammograms, clinical breast exams, pap smears & pelvic exams for women who qualify.
• Qualifying process is based on income and family size for women 40 - 64 years of age.
• Medicare, Medicaid and most HMOs will cover yearly mammograms. If insurance does not cover women may qualify for this program.
• For more information call Women's Health Network at the Kent County Health Department
632-7283 or 1 800 515 1300 Ext 7283.
• Spectrum Health, Betty Ford Breast Care Services participates with this program along with other community health care providers.
• Spectrum Health also provides free mammograms and breast cancer diagnostic services through Betty Ford Breast Care Services at our 8 locations and through our mobile mammography service for women who qualify for one of our programs.
Network of Funding Sources to maximize the number of women we can serve
• Betty Ford Breast Care recognized there was a gap in service for women under 40 and developed a network of grant sources to ensure we could offer services to as many community women as possible.
• These services are funded through Women's Health Network, National Breast Cancer Foundation and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
• Examples of services are: screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms, breast ultrasound, breast tomosynthesis, breast MRI, breast biopsy and genetics testing and counseling.
• The Spectrum Health Cancer Genetics Clinic provides a detailed assessment of their personal and family history; education about the genetics of cancer and a personalized cancer risk assessment, and medical management options. Services are funded by Susan G. Komen for the Cure for patients who qualify.
• Betty Ford Breast Care Services also has an out reach program utilizing our mobile mammography unit. We work with community organizations, churches and local providers to bring services to patient populations with access issues.
Local Efforts - Susan G. Komen for the Cure
• Susan G. komen for the Cure has been a tremendous help to Spectrum as well as other community organizations to enable us to reach out to these patients and provide much needed breast care services.
• On 9/22 they are holding their 15th anniversary race for the cure in the Grand Rapids area.
• This race is Komen's number 1 fund raising event. They have raised funds for our local 5 county area. 75% of these funds are channeled into our local community.
• They typically raise ½ million dollars. The requests for funds usually total $600,000 and they can fund half of the requests.
• Spectrum Health is one of 9 local grantees in our area.
• We would like to encourage participation in this years race.
For information on registering for thr 5k Run/Walk: