The application for an absentee-voter ballot in the presidential primary requires people to declare a political party affiliation. Detroit Free Press image.
(WZZM) - City Clerk Lauri Parks announced today extended hours will be provided for City of Grand Rapids qualified voters wishing to vote absentee in-person in the City Clerk's Office, 2nd floor of City Hall, 300 Monroe Ave. NW.
"Because of the lengthy ballot and anticipated high voter turnout, I encourage anyone who qualifies to vote absentee to do so, as most polling locations will be extremely busy on Election Day," said City Clerk Lauri Parks. "Qualified absentee voters may request a ballot by mail or come down to City Hall and request their ballot."
Regular office hours are weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The extended office hours are as follows:
- Tuesday, October 9 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 23 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 27 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 3 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Although the State of Michigan does not permit early voting, as is the practice of some other states, qualified voters who have a legal reason may cast an absentee ballot prior to any given election. Voters must submit a written request or Absent Voter Application along with identifying at least one (1) of the following reasons for voting by
- I am 60 years of age or older.
- I am physically unable to attend the polls without assistance of another.
- I am an appointed precinct worker in a precinct other than the precinct where I reside.
- I expect to be away from the community in which I am registered for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
- I cannot attend the polls because of the tenant of my religion.
- I cannot attend the polls because I am confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.
All requests to send an absentee ballot by mail must be received by the Clerk's Office no later than 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 3, 2012. All absentee ballots must be returned to the City Clerk's Office no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
For more information and/or to request an Absent Voter Application contact the City Clerk's Office at (616) 456-3010 or visit the website at www.grcity.us/clerk.