GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- At your local store, you may assume cleaning products are relatively safe. But the Environmental Working Group, a national watchdog group tested common products and found many were toxic, causing cancer, asthma, infertility, and blindness.
The top of the offender list, 'Simple Green.' Researchers found a chemical in the product can be absorbed into the skin damaging red blood cells.
Dan Schoonmaker with West Michigan's Environmental Action Council says having 'green' in the name is misleading to consumers.
"I think if you read the bottle you know there is nothing green about it. I think people see green and think environmentally friendly when it's not in any way."
'Whink Rust Stain Remover' had warmers that it could be fatal or cause permanent damage. It warns workers 'it will penetrate skin and attack underlying tissues and bone.' Schoonmaker says people need to think of chemicals differently.
"Terms like toxic and biodegradable don't mean anything, toxic has a different connotation than in the chemical industry. It means it won't kill you in the chemical industry."
'Citra-Solve Degreaser' is also on the list as well as 'Drano Professional Strength Kitchen Crystal Clog Remover.' Many other common cleaners made the list. To see the full report click HERE.