Most kids come home after trick-or-treating with more candy than they need so how about using some of it to create some "healthier" snack options?
Harvest Snack Mix
2 cups pretzel sticks
1 cup mixed nuts
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
8 cups popped popcorn
1 cup candy corn
1 cup chocolate candies
1. In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, nuts and sunflower kernels. Combine the butter, cinnamon and cloves. Drizzle a third of butter mixture over pretzel mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 300° for 15 minutes.
2. Place popcorn in a large bowl; drizzle with remaining butter mixture and toss to coat. Stir into pretzel mixture. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Cool; transfer to a large bowl. Add candy corn and candies; toss to combine. Yield: 3 quarts.
Nutritional Facts (3/4 cup): 224 calories, 12 g fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 263 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Peanut Butter Cereal Treats
30 large marshmallows
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon peanut butter
6 cups Peanut Butter Cereal, such as Puffins
1-1/2 cups milk chocolate M&M's
1. In a large saucepan, combine the marshmallows, butter and peanut butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cereal and M&M's.
2. Pat into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts (1 bar): 147 calories, 5 g fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 97 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein
Frozen Peanut Butter Cup Bananas
2 bananas, peeled and halved crosswise
4 Peanut Butter Cups
6 ounces chocolate, chopped
1. Insert a wooden stick into each banana half. Freeze the bananas and the peanut butter cups for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, heat the chocolate in a double boiler or medium heatproof bowl set over (but not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until melted and smooth.
3. Chop the frozen peanut butter cups. Line a plate with parchment.
4. Coat the frozen bananas in the melted chocolate. Sprinkle with the chopped peanut butter cups. Freeze on the prepared plate until firm, 4 to 5 minutes.
Nutritional Facts (per serving - ½ banana) 176 calories, 9 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein
Shari Steinbach, MS RD, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Manager
For more information, visit www.meijermealbox.com