Michigan shooting suspect accused of attempted murder

6:28 PM, Nov 9, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Raulie Wayne Casteel

NOVI, Mich. (Detroit Free Press) -- A Wixom man accused in a series of shootings across four Michigan counties last month was charged Friday with 60 counts - including attempted murder - involving eight shootings in Wixom and one in Commerce Township.

Raulie Wayne Casteel, 43, is being held without bond on the assault with intent to murder charges.

Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Kenneth Frazee said a high bond or no bond was appropriate because these charges represent only a portion of the victims of "these acts of terror."

One of his attorneys, Charles Groh, said Casteel is a college graduate who lived in Wixom at his in-laws' house with his wife and two-year-old daughter. He said Casteel has been unemployed for the past two years, was financially supported by his wife, has never been convicted of a crime and was a stay-at-home dad.

Casteel's preliminary exam conferences are scheduled for Wednesday.

He was previously arraigned in Howell Township in another shooting and is being held on a $2 million bond in that case.

In Novi's 52-1 District Court Friday, Casteel appeared via video feed wearing orange jail garb. He waived his readings on the charges -- something he didn't do Wednesday when he was charged in the Howell case.

On Friday, he agreed when Groh said he could show him the charges after the hearing.

"Let's waive the reading, and I'll wait until later this afternoon, and we can discuss that," Casteel said.

Casteel is suspected of driving and shooting at people, mostly motorists, across Oakland, Livingston, Ingham and Shiawassee counties last month. Casteel, whose mother told the Free Press that she worries he may be mentally ill, could also be charged soon in Ingham County cases, Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth said Thursday.

The shootings occurred Oct. 16-18 and on Oct. 27, when a man was shot in the buttocks as he drove along I-96. The majority of the shootings occurred on roadways along the I-96 corridor.

Judge Dennis Powers said Friday that a decision would likely be made at Wednesday's hearing about whether competency and criminal responsibility tests would be requested.

Douglas Mullkoff, Casteel's other attorney, said he wanted it to be clear that the judge, and not Casteel's attorneys, raised the competency issue.

"Certainly," Powers said. "It's your ball game as to what you want to do."

By Gina Damron, Detroit Free Press staff writer

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos