(WZZM) - During the holidays, we are faced with a lot of choices. One party favorite is spinach and artichoke dip, but it's usually loaded with lots of fat and calories.
Amy Sherman from Spartan Stores shows us how to it make a low fat low calorie version that might just taste better than the original!
Click on the video link to watch the segment. The recipe is below.
Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 2 slices high quality white sandwich bread, quartered (I used whole grain white)
- 2T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1T unsalted butter, melted
- 2 (9oz) packages frozen artichokes
- 2T olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayo
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 4oz light cream cheese, at room temp
- 1oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2T juice from 1 lemon
- zest from half a lemon
- 1T minced fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Bread or pita chips for serving
Make the topping by food processing the bread using the pulse setting. Mix bread crumbs with butter and Parmesan cheese.
Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine artichokes with 1T oil, 1/2t salt, and 1/4t pepper, and spread on a baking sheet lined with foil. Roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Let cool then chop.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium skillet until shimmering. Cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
Add the remaining ingredients to the onion mixture and stir until uniform, making sure all the lumps of cream cheese are spread out. Gently stir in the artichokes and season to taste. Transfer to an 8x8 baking dish and smooth. Top with bread crumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.