Harbor Village Apts. - photo from Sandra Coverstone
HOLLAND, Mich. (WZZM) - 44 residents of a Holland apartment building are out of their homes after a Wednesday morning fire.
Two firefighters were also injured while fighting the fire at the Harbor Village Apartments on 40th Street when a roof collapsed. Authorities say the firefighters sustained neck and back injuries. They are expect to recover.
Investigators say it appears the fire started when a lit candle fell onto a bed in a second-floor apartment.
Firefighters extinguished the flames within 45 minutes of arrival and were able to save numerous pets and animals.
American Red Cross volunteers have been meeting with displaced residents to assess their needs, and the group has set up an emergency shelter at nearby Central Wesleyan Church.