2 Detroit police officers wounded in shootout with homicide suspect

10:15 PM, Apr 2, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Detroit Police investigate a scene of a shooting involving officers on Linwood in Detroit Tuesday, April 2, 2013. / Andre J. Jackson/Detroit Free Press

DETROIT (Detroit Free Press) -- Two Detroit police officers were wounded and a homicide suspect was killed in a shootout Tuesday evening following a car chase on the city's west side, officials said.

Few details were being released, including the officers' names and the extent of their injuries.

"Two officers were shot, the suspect was fatally wounded," Interim Police Chief Chester Logan said at a news conference at Henry Ford Hospital, where the officers were being treated. "At this time we will be providing no further details."

Dr. Scott Dulchavsky, chairman of surgery at Henry Ford Hospital, said doctors would not talk about the officers' injuries because the families of the officers requested privacy. He said one officer was listed in temporary serious condition while the other injured officer was listed in stable condition and is expected to be released in the next 24 hours.

According to a source, one officer was wounded in the head, and the other was shot in the leg.

The shootout occurred in the area of Linwood and Hooker about 6:15 p.m. Numerous police officers had the area cordoned off immediately after the shootout.

The officers were part of the Comprehensive Violence Reduction Partnership unit, said Sgt. Eren Stephens, a department spokeswoman. The unit is a partnership among the Detroit police, the ATF, Michigan State Police, Wayne County Sheriff's Office and Michigan Department of Corrections.

Logan said the officers were following a vehicle carrying a suspect in a March 28 homicide involving a marijuana ring. He said the officers tried to pull the vehicle over in the 3700 block of 25th Street and a chase ensued.

The vehicle stopped at Linwood and Hooker and the suspect began firing at the officers. They returned fire, killing him, Logan said. His name was not released.

Laura Thompson, 73, was among the bystanders who went to the scene after hearing gunshots Tuesday evening. She told a Free Press reporter that there were at least three people in the car being chased by police.

But Stephens said there was only one suspect in the car and he was killed.

By Ann Zaniewski, Gina Damron and Melanie Scott Dorsey

Associated Press

Most Viewed Articles

Most Watched Videos