• When having a bowl of cereal, apply MyPlate guidelines to your cereal bowl. Focus on whole grains, low-fat dairy and fruit. Select cereals that provide at least 3 grams of fiber per serving; skim or 1% milk (or milk alternative); different fruits.
• Cereal can be used in many ways beyond the bowl including:
Coating for meat, such as chicken breasts or pork chops
In cobblers and parfaits
In a snack mix
Used as breadcrumbs - topping for casseroles or in meatloaf
• There have been exciting changes in the Meijer cereal aisle. Meijer brand cereal has a fresh new look and the line is growing, the number of varieties will nearly double in the coming months.
Try some of these delicious ways to use cereal in your meals and snacks:
Mini Meatball Sandies
Serves: 12 Sandies
1/4 cup finely crushed corn cereal (such as Meijer Corn Flakes)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 Tbsp. Meijer olive oil
1 Tbsp. Meijer ketchup, plus more for serving
2 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
8 oz., 96-percent lean ground beef, such as Certified Angus Beef
12 (2-1/2-inch) diameter sweet dinner rolls, halved, such as King's Hawaiian
1. Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cereal, parsley, egg, oil, 1 tablespoon ketchup, cheese, salt, and pepper. Add the ground beef and gently stir to combine. With damp hands, roll the mixture into 12 mini meatballs. Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes Cool for 10 minutes.
3. Make an indentation in the center of the bottom half of a roll. Place a meatball in the indentation. Add about 1 teaspoon of ketchup to the meatballs and cover with the top half of the roll. Repeat with the remaining rolls and filling.
4. Arrange the sandies on a platter and serve.
Source: Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, Food Network.
Serve with: Apple Slices, Baby Carrots and Sliced Cucumbers
Other Ideas Using Cereal:
Snack or On-The-Go Breakfast Idea: Cherry-Pistachio Crunch
• Combine ½ cup dried cherries, 2 cups rice squares or wheat squares or Meijer Multigrain Toasted Oats, ½ cup roasted pistachios and 3 cups Meijer Bountiful Morning Granola with No Sugar Added. Source: Adapted from Easy Meals Healthy Families book on www.meijerhealthyliving.com.
Dessert Idea: Mango-Blueberry Cup
• Combine 1 large diced mango, 1 cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon sugar. Divide into 4 glasses. Top each with ¼ cup lowfat vanilla yogurt and ¼ cup toasted coconut or Meijer Fiber Complete with Probiotics or Meijer Blueberry Muffin Squares.
Courtesy: Shari Steinbach, MS RD, Meijer Dietitian and Healthy Living Manager
For more information, visit www.meijerhealthyliving.com