GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- WZZM 13, the Gannett owned ABC affiliate in Grand Rapids, Michigan has been nominated for 16 Regional Emmy Awards. This is more than any other television media company in West Michigan.
WZZM 13 Health Reporter, Valerie Lego is the sole Emmy nominee for On-Camera Talent in the Reporter-Medical category. She received two additional nominations for Health News Feature for "BMI Under Water" and Societal Concerns Program for "Tainted Michigan."
Two (2) Feature News stories are nominated including "To Succeed, Dodge" for Light Feature which also won a Regional Edward R. Murrow this year for Veteran Newsman Peter Ross and Director of Photography, Andy Sugden. This fast paced hard hitting tale brings office co-workers out of the cubical and onto the dodge ball court for out of the ordinary business networking. Ross is also nominated for an On-Camera Talent award in the Reporter-Live category.
Feature News Nominee: "To Succeed, Dodge" - http://on.wzzm.com/zdt8tF
"Art as a Tool of Justice" by longtime WZZM 13 Reporter Brent Ashcroft is nominated in the Serious Feature category. The story looks at how a work of art is being used to bring attention to the missing person case of Deanie Peters. Ashcroft is also nominated along with Sugden in the Education category for his story titled "This is CNN" a fast paced piece about a fifth grade broadcast journalism class, which also won a Regional Edward R. Murrow award. Ashcroft is a nominee in the Writer-News category.
Feature News Nominee: "This is CNN" - http://on.wzzm.com/15n33Xg
Director of Photography, Andy Sugden is named in two additional categories, first for News Editing and also for Photography-News.
Sports Director, Tom Clyde is nominated in the On-Camera Talent Sports Reporter and WZZM 13 Lakeshore Reporter Jon Mills is nominated for Video Journalist.
Other honorable nominations include Business/Consumer, Health/Science, Societal Concerns, Sports Feature, and Historical/Cultural.
WZZM 13 President and General Manager, Janet Mason says, "I am extremely proud of the level of work that our News team continues to create on a daily basis. Their commitment to excellence in engaging storytelling is apparent and I believe these record-setting Emmy nominations are a testament to that. We are extremely grateful for the recognition".
The complete list of WZZM 13 Emmy nominations are listed below.
- Feature News Report - Light Feature "To Succeed, Dodge" by Peter Ross & Andy Sugden
- Feature News Report - Serious Feature - Art as a Tool of Justice by Brent Ashcroft
- Business/Consumer - Michigan Spirits by Sarah Sell
- Education/Schools - This is CNN by Brent Ashcroft & Andy Sugden
- Health/Science - News Feature - BMI Underwater by Valerie Lego & Jon Mills
- Historical/Cultural - News Feature - #2501 by Brent Ashcroft & Andy Sugden
- Societal Concerns - Program/Special - Tainted Michigan by Valerie Lego, Joshua Aldredge and Andy Konkle
- Sports - News Feature - One Year Later by Brent Ashcroft
- Sports - News Feature - The Kidd's Kids by Andy Sugden
- Editor - News - Andy Sugden
- On Camera Talent - Reporter Live - Peter Ross
- On Camera Talent - Reporter Medical - Valerie Lego
- On Camera Talent - Sports Reporter - Tom Clyde
- Photographer - News - Andy Sugden
- Writer - News - Brent Ashcroft
- Video Journalist - Jon Mills
For more information or further comment please go to www.wzzm13.com or contact Marketing Manager, Pam Rankin at: (616) 559-1480 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Gannett broadcast stations are: WUSA, Washington, DC; WXIA, Atlanta; WTSP, Tampa-St. Petersburg; KARE, Minneapolis; WKYC, Cleveland; KPNX, Phoenix, KNAZ, Flagstaff and KMOH, Kingman; K*USA, Denver; KTVD, Denver; KXTV, Sacramento; KSDK, St. Louis; WZZM, Grand Rapids, MI; WGRZ, Buffalo, NY; WFMY, Greensboro, NC; WTLV and WJXX, Jacksonville, FL; KTHV, Little Rock; WBIR, Knoxville, TN; WCSH, Portland, ME; WLTX, Columbia, SC; WMAZ, Macon, GA; & WLBZ, Bangor, ME.
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people - and the companies who want to reach them - with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.