Blair and Lauren working on beach legs
(MERCY HEALTH PARTNERS) - It's getting warmer outside and many of us a re flocking to the local beaches for a nice cool day of sun, sand, and water. Beach season is a great time to work on toning the legs. Here are some of my favorite exercises to shape and strengthen the legs. The cool thing about performing this routine is that it can be done at home or the gym, which-ever you prefer. Do these exercise through a three-cycle circuit, each exercise three times through.
• Wall Sits - Stand with your back against the wall. Lean back and slide downward until your quads (upper part of the leg) are parallel to the floor and your knees are at 90-degree angles. Hold this position for 30 seconds; focus on keeping your abs nice and tight.
• Standing Calf Raises - Using your own body weight or holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Slowly raise up on your toes, hold for a couple seconds, and then slowly lower your heals to the floor. To work one calf at a time, simply cross one leg over the other. Perform 12 to 15 reps.
• Jump Squats - Using your own body weight or holding a dumbbell in each hand, start this exercise in a squat position. Make sure your feet are shoulder width apart, elbows bent at 90-degrees. Jump up with force, making your body into a straight line in the air. Land back in a squat position and repeat for 15 reps.
• Hip Abductor - Stand tall next to a chair or the wall and hold on with one hand. Start with your feet together and slowly raise one leg out to the side with your toes pointing toward your face. Keep in a straight line (do not move your pelvis or torso). The standing leg must also be kept straight. When you reach your maximum height hold the position for a second and then slowly lower to the starting position. Perform the exercise for 10 reps.
• Chair Step Ups - Stand facing a chair with your feet shoulder width apart. Place your hands by your side and use them as needed to help with the exercise. Place one foot on the chair and step up in a steady and controlled motion, pulling yourself up onto the chair. Pause for a moment then step down with the opposite foot returning to the starting position. Repeat alternating legs and do 10 reps per leg.
Try this workout for toned beach legs.