Fire scene, Ironwood Dr., Tallmadge Township. (Photo by Phil Dawson)
TALLMADGE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- The owners of a former fireworks business say fireworks they set off near their old location may have sparked a fire at a neighboring house.
It happened Thursday on Ironwood road in Tallmadge Township.
The owners of Ottawa Fireworks, which has been closed since last year, stopped by earlier in the day to pick up some items.
They set off some mortars and other fireworks behind a vacant house that sits on the property. There is no electricity or natural gas connected to the house, so they suspect a spark from fireworks smoldering on the back porch grew into a fire.
We shot a few fireworks off in the back, kind of saying goodbye, because this is the first year in 30 years we haven't been open here," says Ron Barstow, the building owner.
A firefighter on the way to a different call was the first person to notice smoke coming out of the building. He was able to alert his collegues.
The house sustained significant damage, though there's no estimate on the dollar amount.