Muskegon High School. (March 26, 2013)
DETROIT (AP) - Supporters of a statewide student safety hotline modeled after a Colorado program established in the wake of the 1999 Columbine High School massacre hope to clear a final hurdle once schools resume.
Gov. Rick Snyder signed a budget bill this month that includes money to develop and run the OK-2-SAY hotline for anonymous reports of threats and violence. But the green light to launch it requires legislative action by Michigan House after lawmakers return in late August.
House leaders say no there's timetable, but backers are optimistic for quick passage after swift and unanimous approval last month by the Senate.
Cadillac schools Superintendent Joanne Spry says she participated in Colorado's Safe2Tell while working as an administrator there. Spry says one anonymous tip led to help for a student considering suicide.