GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)- Dave Olsen of "A Bachelor & His Grill" shares a recipe you can try on Valentine's Day.
Seared Moroccan Spice Lamb Chops with Toasted Hazelnut and Minty CousCous Salad
- In food processor pulse together A Bachelor & His Grill's, "Moroccan Spice Mix" (recipe below), garlic, parsley & 3 tablespoons olive oil, seasoning to taste with salt & pepper.
- Place lamb chops in air-tight plastic bag, pour Moroccan marinade over chops, then seal & refrigerate 1-4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove chops from refrigerator 20 minutes before cooking, bringing meat back near room temperature.
- In a heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat, bring to simmer 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Gently lay lamb chops in uncovered skillet, searing for 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare (135?F) & 4-6 minutes per side for medium (145?F).
- Remove from heat immediately, place under tin foil tent for 3-5 minutes.
- Plate with A Bachelor & His Grill's, "Toasted Hazelnut & Minty CousCous Salad" (recipe below), season additionally to taste, garnish & Serve.
Moroccan Spice Mix
Serves: ½ cup
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 level teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In food processor pulse together all spices.
- Set aside until ready for use, or place in resealable container & store at room temperature, up to 4 weeks.
Toasted Hazelnut and Minty CousCous Salad
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup dates, chopped (or alternate dried fruit of your choice)
- ½ cup salted hazelnuts, dry roasted & chopped
- ½ cup mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and ground peppercorn, to taste
- In medium pot bring water, oil & ½ teaspoon salt to raging boil.
- Remove pot from heat, add couscous, cover & rest 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, over lined baking sheet dry roast hazelnuts in oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove & set aside to cool.
- Bring 1 tablespoon olive oil to gentle simmer in a small skillet over medium heat, then add onion & garlic, sauteing 5-7 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Chop dates & mint.
- Toss all ingredients into pot with couscous, fluff with fork, season to taste & serve.