Carbon monoxide leak sends 26 to hospital in Battle Creek

BATTLE CREEK, MICH. - Twenty-six people have been treated at a hospital after Battle Creek firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide at an addiction treatment center.

When firefighters arrived Wednesday morning at the A Forever Recovery center, monitors they carried showed readings of 250 to 300 parts per million of the toxic gas, compared to acceptable levels of 30 to 40 p.p.m.

The Battle Creek Enquirer reports people were evacuated to a nearby building and 16 were transported soon thereafter to a hospital, while 10 others sought treatment later in the day. Twenty-four patients were released after treatment, and the hospital said two others were in good condition.

Officials said the leak was caused by a faulty furnace.

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

Have a news tip? Email news@wzzm13.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.

© 2017 WZZM-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment